Leo program history
Today, the Leo Club Program is stronger than ever. Community service remains the cornerstone of the program. Like their Lion counterparts, Leo club members enjoy serving their neighbours and watching positive results unfold.
In 1957, Coach Jim Graver started the Leo ball rolling. Chances are, that ball was a baseball ball. Graver was the coach of the Abington High School (Pennsylvania, USA) baseball team, and an active member of the Glenside Lions Club.
With his fellow Lion, William Ernst, Graver talked about starting a service club for high school boys, asking their fellow Lions for support. Without hesitation, the Glenside Lions Club agreed that a Lions youth group was a good idea. Graver and Ernst set to work.
“We needed a nucleus, a group of kids to start with,” stated Ernst. “So we got Jim’s son to come to the first meeting with his whole baseball team.” Nine sophomore, junior and senior boys joined the group of 26 baseball players. And, together, the 35 teens formed a club. On December 5, 1957, the Glenside Lions presented a charter to the Abington High School Leo Club.
As the world’s first Leo club, the group created the Leo acronym – Leadership, Equality, Opportunity (Equality was later changed to Experience), and chose maroon and gold – their school colors – to serve as the Leo Club colours.
An Idea Whose Time Has Come
The Abington Leos were a singular entity until 1963. In that year, a Leo club was formed at the Tamaqua Area High School in Pennsylvania. Shortly after, a former Philadelphia Lion formed a Leo Club in New York. By 1964, there were 27 Leo clubs in Pennsylvania and one in New York.
The circle of junior service clubs was expanding. In October 1967, the board of directors of Lions Clubs International adopted the Leo Club Program as an official program of the association. Open to males and females, the objective of the Leo Club Program was (and still is):
“…to provide the youth of the world (with) an opportunity for development and contribution, individually and collectively, as responsible members of the local, national and international community.”
In 1968, newly formed Leo Clubs began sending their requests for club certification to the International Headquarters. On October 17, 1969, forms requesting certification for the Abington High School Leo Club reached headquarters. On this date, the world’s original Leo Club was formally recognized as a part of the international Leo Program, with Leo John Hebert of Baederwood serving as the President.
Today, the Leo Club Program is stronger than ever. Community service remains the cornerstone of the program. Like their Lion counterparts, Leo Club members enjoy serving their neighbours and watching positive results unfold.